Monday, September 12, 2011

Watching SpongeBob Can Lead to Learning Problems?

Reference: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/09/12/watching-spongebob-can-lead-to-learning-problems/

Summary: This study done in Chicago suggests that watching just 9 minutes of SpongeBob SquarePants shortens attentions spans in 4 yr olds. They selected 60 kids and randomly assigned them to watch SpongeBob or Caillou or to draw pictures. After 9 minutes of doing whatever they were assigned to they took a mental functions test. The children that watched SpongeBob did worse than the others. Research before this study stated that watching TV could cause long term attention problems but now we discover that only 9 minutes could affect seriously. These doctors suggest that children do not watch high action shows before school or anytime they are expected to pay attention.

Critique: Wow, my mom always said that watching TV turns my brain to mush but I didn’t know she actually meant it. I think SpongeBob is actually really funny just because it’s so stupid, but then again I am 14 and not 4 although some people beg to differ. I wonder if this affects more than just 4 year olds I don’t think for me that watching a TV show is going to make me pay any less attention in school than I already do. By the way doesn’t SpongeBob teach good values like to always be ready “I’m ready I’m ready I’m ready”. I don’t believe this affects me but by this study it affects 4 year olds in a big way.

Impact: I think this makes a huge impact on our lives. I don’t know if you ever lived with a four year old but I have, maybe TV has been the problem the whole time. I think it would be helpful to adults to know this because dealing with a fussy inpatient four year is not on their top ten. Maybe less TV would make not only make the 4 year olds more happy but the whole world to.

No comments:

Post a Comment