Monday, November 28, 2011

Surprising Pathway Implicated in Stuttering

Summary: Researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, found that stuttering is caused by mutations in a gene governing not speech, but a metabolic pathway involved in recycling old cell parts. The recycling center, called lysosomes, actually play a part in making people stutter. Lysosomes are cellular organelles that break down waste and cellular debris. They are found in and around the Golgi apparatus. The people who have been tested for stuttering problems all have the same 3 genes mutated therefore causing the stuttering problem. Anyone can have those genes.

Critique: Well since some of my friends have this problem I guess I can tell them what it was caused by.

Impact: Well, I don't know what scientists or people can do about this but I guess it's nice to know that genes are causing the stuttering problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment