Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Caffeine and Exercise Have Effects on DNA


Caffeine and Exercise Have Similar Effects in DNA




Summary- DNA isn’t just inherited; it can be changed by exercise or the consumption of caffeine. A new study proves that if inactive, healthy individuals exercise for a few minutes, their DNA alters immediately. Also, it suggested that if you drink coffee in the morning, it could influence muscle the same way as exercise. The way the DNA in muscle is changed is by the molecules inside that are chemically and structurally different.  This could cause an increase in muscle strength and be beneficial for a healthy metabolism.

Critique- This is awesome!!! Now I can have an excuse for all the Starbucks I drink J Also, it’s good to know that exercise is something that needs to be practiced to continue to get it’s effects. I hope that this new information will be used to encourage more people to exercise so that they become attuned to being healthy and staying healthy.

Impact- The fact that muscle adapts to level of use adds to the chemical balance of our muscle from exercise is very important. Environmental shifts are adjustable for DNA, whether you exercise, drink coffee, or both. Better health can be accomplished very easily with this idea in mind.

1 comment:

  1. The DNA thing you mentioned is pretty cool - even if DNA is kinda boring. I can sort of understand the point you are trying to get across - but I am still curious: does this mean the Starbucks-lovers like yourself will have have children who will love coffee by default? Because if your DNA is changing, does that get passed on to offspring?

    I personally have never set foot in a Starbucks - and I don't plan to. Coffee tastes gross to begin with and even though it may or may not taste good with tons of sugar and milk in it, it's horrible for you. Don't even get me started on how many calories are in the smallest size coffee you can get. I would think that it would hurt your body - so hearing about how it affects the DNA was pretty interesting. Also, I do exercise every day, but not vigorously. So does my DNA still change?

    ReplyDelete