Monday, October 24, 2011

Soft Drinks Don’t Make Hardened Criminals, Experts Say

Reference: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2011/10/24/experts-cast-doubt-on-study-that-says-soda-drinking-teens-more-violent/

Summary: Since the 1979 “Twinkie defense” many have been worried about the affects of junk food on people. The “Twinkie defense” was first heard of when Dan White blamed his murder of Harvey Milk on his junk food addiction. Dan white said that is was the junk food he had been eating that caused him to be depressed and more violent. Researchers asked teenagers from a local high school if they were ever violent to anybody, specifically family members, friends and people they have dated. These studies showed that teenagers that drink 5 or more non-diet soft drinks a week were 9-15% more likely than non soda drinking studies to participate in violent behaviors such as carrying a gun or knife to school.

Critique: I think this study pretty cool I would have to say that most of the world’s consumers of junk food are teenagers so this very much applies to us. I don’t think this study is very true though I have a friend that drinks a soda a day and is NOT at all violent. I don’t really see how soda could make someone violent but I guess it has to do with the person.

Impact: I think if there is truth to this story it very much impacts us; if soda drives students to carry weapons to school I think we are all in trouble. Soda is everywhere and I don’t know anyone that doesn’t drink soda. Soda isn’t some kind of drug it’s easy to get anywhere so anyone could go get hyped up on a twelve pack of Mountain Dew and then bring weapons to school. I honestly don’t see that happening though.

No comments:

Post a Comment