Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Woman Who Eats Only Pizza At Risk For Health Problems




Reference: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4124624/Pizza-only-diet-could-kill-me-says-scared-Claire.html

Summary: Claire Simmons, from Notting Hill, West London, has eaten only cheese pizza for 31 years. She has recently been told that she could die unless she quits. She gags if she puts anything else in her mouth and shakes when presented with any other type of food. Her doctors have diagnosed her with selective eating disorder, a psychological problem. She lacks many vitamins and minerals, which could lead to a stroke or a heart attack in the future.She says that keeps herself "healthy with exercise and... a lot of water." She also said, "I'm actually scared of fruit and veg. I get so angry when people think I'm being faddy- this is a real medical condition."

Critique: Seriously? Seriously? Of course she'll have health problems if she eats the same thing for more than three decades, no matter what it is! I love pizza. I dream about it all the time. I can't eat it much anymore due to my dietary restriction but I can't get enough of the gluten-free pizza at Streets of New York. However, eating pizza and only pizza for more than three decades is crazy. Does she even like it anymore? I don't know much about selective eating disorder, but from the quote given I feel like she's just using it as an excuse. In order to live, we need to have the proper vitamins and minerals. I really hope she can get over her this before it's too late, for her sake and that of those close to her.

Impact: Hopefully this will stop people from eating the same food so much. It's great to have favorites, but if you eat to much of anything (including eating lettuce for 31 years), you're bound to have health problems. Balance is everything!

1 comment:

  1. I quite agree, HN. I do quite enjoy pizza. I'm not entirely sure, however, that I would like to eat it for 31 years. I think when she says she's "afraid" of fruits and vegetables, she means she's afraid of what will happen if she eats one. Given her condition - psychological and otherwise - there's not much she can do from this point on. I think once you have to start using decades to describe how long you've been eating the same thing, you've gone too far.

    Pizza is loaded with white flour and sugar - things that are very bad for your heart and your body in general. I think that this woman has a very serious problem. I also think if she doesn't see a psychological doctor of some sort, she needs to see a regular doctor to get everything sorted out. Let's try to remember, HN, how this is her problem and that she brought it on herself.

    ReplyDelete