Sunday, February 19, 2012

Texting Negatively Impacts Linguistic Abilities


Summary:
Scientists at the University of Calgary argue that people who text more than read books,  magazines, and newspapers wont be able to explain the meaning of unfamiliar words. Text messaging may impact the brain’s linguistic ability to accept and comprehend words. “The people who accepted more words did so because they were better able to interpret the meaning of the word, or tolerate the word, even if they did not recognize the word. Students who report texting more rejected more words instead of acknowledging them as possible words.” According to researcher Joan Lee. Therefore, those people who text more than read traditional print are more likely to not want to learn new words.
Impact
The impact on children texting instead of reading has been a commonly asked question since the beginning of the ability to text off of your cell phone. Another question that has come up frequently is... Does texting make kids lose social skills? In studies around the United States scientists have seen little evidence that texting has a large effect on the child’s brain. But as cell phones begin to become more and more popular with teens and young kids the effects may become more serious. 
Critique:
My critique on this article good. I don’t necessarily believe that texting effects the brain, but I do believe that it is possible that in the near future as technology becomes more advanced that texting can effect the brain. It is crazy enough that our phones can talk to us as if they are a robot, so I don’t understand why people are trying to create something that is bigger and better. On the other hand, that is just the way that people are. People constantly believe that we can create something better and greater when just settling with what we have is not enough. 

References:http://biology.about.com/b/2012/02/17/texting-negatively-impacts-linguistic-abilities.htm

3 comments:

  1. I don't think that texting limits are linguistic skills...maybe our spelling...but not how we talk. I for one do not believe this article at all.

    Although because I text quite frequently.. I do hate spelling out words when I'm typing assignments or doing class work. But it effects everyone differently and to some, not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This world is advancing more and more technologically every day. It is becoming more common for kids to have cell phones and to be texting or using instant messaging systems! I think that using these symstems causes kids to tend to abbreviate words and shorten the amount of words that they use in a message. I do however think that this does and does not effect the way that students will learn. If teens spend so much time texting and being invloved in the technological world and not reading books they will not expand their vocabulary.They will also lose the ability to comprehend literature.

    Your summary, impact, and critique were very will written. They were easy to comprehend. You were very straight and to the point! The link is accurate and your opinions were reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with this article. By reading books, magazines, and newspapers we learn new words. It's easier to know what a word means if your vocabulary is larger. We take words we don't know and use parts of other words to try and figure out what the new word means. I don't know anyone who uses uncommon words while texting (and if they do it's because they're trying to be funny or they're just plain obnoxious). With texting, everything is shortened. If people spend all their time texting BRB, AFAICT, BCNU, they're not going to be exposed to more words. I think they're also going to lose their appreciation for language. I can't criticize anyone for using LOL because that is in about 75% of my texts. I definitely think that texting impacts people's social skills. Personally, I don't think texting hasn't negatively affected my linguistic skills, but it hasn't helped me with them either. I think that texting may stunt growth in these skills.

    ReplyDelete