Wednesday, February 22, 2012

What Can Animals' Survival Instincts Tell Us About Understanding Human Emotion?


Summary: Human emotions are very much like animal instincts, a new study says. Joseph LeDoux, a neuroscientist from the University New York, has concluded in his new journal that many things can be deducted from animal instincts. “The neurological common ground between humans and animals includes brain functions used for survival. It is here,” LeDoux contends, “that researchers may gain new insights into both humans' and animals' emotions.” This may or may not be news to anyone, but it has been said for a while that human instincts came from animal instincts. (We used to be animals.) Like, when we smile, it makes us relaxed and happy of what we’re doing at the moment. This is the equivalent of a feline purring or a dog wagging its tail.

Impact: I know about the whole fight or flight thing is an animal reflex/instinct and it refers to fear in humans because that’s the way evolution is. And too bad to the people who say I’m not allowed to talk about evolution. (There’s no other way to explain a lot of things other than the evolution theory.) We descended from animals, and natural selection must have had something to do with the evolution of humans and animals, right?

Critique: I thought the picture I posted with this blog was so cute! I mean, come on guys, it’s virtually impossible to look at a picture of two hugging meerkat things and have NO kind of expression at all. That would be completely heartless. It’s interesting to think about this kind of thing. I imagine I have thought this very idea already in my subconscious mind. I just can’t seem to recall where I was or what I had been doing to invoke that kind of deep thinking . . .

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120222132116.htm

1 comment:

  1. I so agree with what you say Katie. we have evolved over time to survive and react to climate and changes over time. This does include natural selection to get a species the way you want for survival benefits or other benefits.this does not disagree however that i thin animals and humans were made similar.

    I will not talk about religion at all, but i think its less likely we evolved from animals based on the fact that we both ( animals and humans) sometimes like the same things or have the same emotions. I do have to say, Joseph's theory is bright and a little logical, but more on opinion and not very factual based.

    ReplyDelete