Monday, February 13, 2012

Study: Overeating May Double the Risk of Memory Loss

Reference: http://healthland.time.com/2012/02/13/study-overeating-may-double-the-risk-of-memory-loss/?iid=hl-main-lede

Summary: A new study surveyed 1,233 people from age 70 to 89. It found that the people that ate more calories per day had a higher risk of MCI, mild cognitive impairment. MCI is a period of cognitive decline between normal age-related memory loss and Alzheimer's dementia. It can lead to Alzheimer's dementia, but not always. 63 of the participants had symptoms of MCI, but all were free of dementia. The people who were in the group that consumed the highest amount of calories (2,143 to 6,000) were twice as likely to develop MCI as those in the lowest calorie group (1,526 to 2,143).

Critique: I thought that this was very interesting. Memory loss is scary to me so I think I'm going to make sure that I don't eat a ton of calories. I still have about 54 years until I'm 70, but it still won't hurt.

Impact: If people are aware of this it may cause them to eat fewer calories and have less chances of obtaining Alzheimer's in old age.

No comments:

Post a Comment