Friday, August 26, 2011

Does TV make you die faster?

Reference:http://healthland.time.com/2011/08/17/want-to-live-longer-try-turning-off-your-tv/

Summary: A study conducted in Australia compares the life span of those who watch 6 hours of TV every day and those who don't. The research shows that Austrailian adults over the age of 25 who watched no TV live 4.8 years more than those who watch an average of 6 hours of televison a day. Given this, it is believed that every hour of TV you watch takes 22 minutes off your life span. If we did not watch TV, it is being said that men would live 1.8 years longer and women 1.5 years longer.

Critique: Ok, I see how this could be true. I mean, if you're watching TV you're not really having any physical activity. I mean, at least I don't. Maybe other people do crunches while watching TV, I don't really know. But if we exercize one hour for every hour of TV we watch, I think we would be fine. I just don't think a lot of us are disciplined enough to do it.

Impact: Maybe this information will inspire America to get some exercize. It is being said that the world is getting fatter, so maybe people will start listening to the scientists and turn off the tube. Or maybe they will just ignore it and finish watching that episode of Nanny 911 because that show is soooooo addicting. (It really is. Be careful! Haha.)


1 comment: