Sunday, April 1, 2012

Babies Take Longer To Come Out Than They Did In Grandma's Day

Summary: The typical first-time mother takes 6 1/2 hours to give birth these days. Her counterpart 50 years ago labored for barely four hours. One reason for this is obstetricians may rush to do a c-section too soon because they are using a out-of-date yardstick of how long "normal" labor should take. Also, first time mothers not are about fear years older on average and have a higher body weight. Babies born today are also larger. 85 percent of contemporary laboring mothers get epidurals. This makes it hard for bodies to labor because they are in place and can not be mobile.

Impact: I think that this is a great impact to expecting mothers because it may give them help with making the choice whether or not they want to have an epidural or not. It informs them of how labor could take longer.

Critique: I thought this was interesting because I do want to be a nurse however it does not directly relate to me because I am not in the place now to make decisions like this.

Reference: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/features/npr.php?id=149718838

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha that's really weird cause i posted something similar to this article! When i read mine, i got the same questions that i did when i read the summary of yours. I wonder if there is more to it that just the epidural? I think that does shift my perspective, personally, on getting an epidural. I think all women out there are more focused on the health and well-being of their baby than they are worried about the short-term physical pain of giving birth to the child.

    ReplyDelete